New Zealand has a waste problem. We are disposing more and more waste into landfill.
The landfill levy is one of the most effective tools we have to help us change. The Government is proposing to increase the levy and apply it to more landfill types. We are keen to get your feedback on the proposals.
Review the proposals
Cost-benefit analysis of the proposals
The Ministry has commissioned the New Zealand Institute of Economic Research to carry out a cost-benefit analysis of the proposals to increase the levy rate and apply it to more landfills. We anticipate publishing that cost-benefit analysis on this web page, in early December 2019.
Webinars on the proposals
Make a submission
You can submit your feedback during the consultation period using one of the following options:
- Use the online submission tool. This is the preferred way to receive submissions.
- Answer the questions in the consultation document and email LandfillLevyConsultation@mfe.govt.nz
- Or post your answers to: Waste disposal levy expansion consultation, Ministry for the Environment, PO Box 10362, Wellington 6143.
The deadline for submissions is 3 February 2020 at 5pm.
- After the consultation has ended MfE will prepare a report that summarises submissions. We will then make recommendations to the Minister taking into account the feedback.
- If Cabinet approves the policy proposals they will take effect in phases from mid-2020 or mid-2021 (depending on which option is chosen).
- By July 2023 all new levy rates are proposed to be in place.