This page has the key milestones in the making of the Water Conservation (Rangitata River) Order 2006 and related documents.
- On 23 December 1999, the New Zealand Fish and Game Council and Central South Island Fish and Game Council applied for a water conservation order in respect of the Rangitata River and its tributaries and shallow groundwater reserves. The application was made under the Resource Management Act 1991.
- On 10 October 2000 the Minister for the Environment appointed a special tribunal to hear and report on the application.
- The application was publicly notified on 9 December 2000.
- The hearing was held between 3 October and 20 December 2001.
- On 21 October 2001 the Special Tribunal made its report recommending that a water conservation order be made in respect of parts of the Rangitata River.
- Submissions were made to the Environment Court who held a hearing on dates in October, November 2003, May and June 2004.
- The court issued an interim report on 5 August 2004 attaching a draft Order. Its final report was dated 22 September 2005.
- The Water Conservation (Rangitata River) Order 2006 was made on 19 June 2006.
Find out more
Application [PDF, 33.1 KB]
Special Tribunal report [PDF, 1.34 MB]