The New Zealand Emissions Trading Scheme is the Government’s main tool for reducing greenhouse gas emissions. The Government plans to introduce auctioning of New Zealand units to market participants as part of the scheme. The move would help Aotearoa New Zealand reach its domestic and international climate change targets.
We are keen for feedback on the technical rules required to run auctions.
This consultation does not include information or proposals regarding the volume of NZUs available for auction or the settings for NZ ETS price controls. Questions about these topics will be part of a subsequent consultation.
How to review the proposals and submit feedback
Make a submission
You can submit your feedback during the consultation period using one of the following options:
- Use our submission tool. This is our preferred way to receive submissions.
- Answer the questions in the discussion document and email email@example.com.
The closing date for submissions is 19 December 2019 at 5pm.
- Following the consultation period, we will prepare a report that summarises the submissions and make recommendations based on the submissions.
- We will then seek agreement from Ministers for policy decisions on the proposals.
- Following Cabinet approval of the policy decisions, officials will begin drafting new regulations.