This page has guidance for local authorities on implementing the National Policy Statement on Urban Development Capacity 2016.
This guide provides a general overview of the requirements of the National Policy Statement on Urban Development Capacity 2016 (NPS-UDC) and clarification of selected terms and concepts.
Further guidance on how to best implement specific policies in the NPS-UDC will be developed with local authorities and other stakeholders throughout 2017.
This will cover:
- monitoring market indicators including price efficiency
- components of the housing and business development capacity assessment
- more enabling and responsive plans that provide sufficient development capacity
- best practice consenting processes for urban developments
- preparing a future development strategy that is responsive to demand.
Technical advisory and practice groups are being set up to oversee development of aspects of this guidance. These will involve local authorities and other stakeholders.
More information about the groups and the proposed guidance will be available on this website in early 2017.
Find out more
You can email the NPS-UDC project team at firstname.lastname@example.org if you:
- would like further information about implementation or you are interested in being involved in the development of a particular guidance product on behalf of your council
- have questions or concerns. We will post the answers to key questions on the website.
We are also looking at other ways of encouraging communication between local authorities and the NPS-UDC project team. We’ll publish more about this on the website in early 2017.