About the legislative changes that have been made through the Resource Management Amendment Act 2020. The provisions come into force at various times. For more information see Overview of changes introduced by the Resource Legislation Amendment Act 2020.
Link to the Act
- Resource Management Amendment Act 2020 [New Zealand Legislation website]
Overview of the changes
The objectives of this Act are to:
- reduce the complexity of the RMA
- increase certainty
- restore public participation opportunities
- improve Resource Management Act 1991 processes.
This Act also supports the urgent need to improve freshwater management and outcomes, and respond to climate change in New Zealand.
It also makes improvements to:
- resource consenting
- Environment Court provisions within the RMA.
For more information on the changes made through the Resource Management Amendment Act 2020 see:
- Overview of changes introduced by the Resource Legislation Amendment Act 2020
- Factsheet on freshwater planning process
- Factsheet on compliance, monitoring and enforcement provisions.
Find out more
- Cabinet paper 1 – Proposed Resource Management Amendment Bill: Stage 1 of a resource management system review
- Appendix to the Cabinet paper: Proposed bill to amend the RMA – further policy detail on proposals (on Cabinet paper web page)
- Cabinet paper 2: Proposed Resource Management Amendment Bill: A specialised planning process for freshwater, and other outstanding policy decisions
- Cabinet paper 3 - Resource Management Amendment Bill - Approval for introduction
- Impact Summary: Proposed bill to amend the Resource Management Act 1991 (version 1)
- Updated Impact Summary: Proposed bill to amend the Resource Management Act 1991 (version 2)
- Impact Statement: A new planning process for freshwater
- Impact Summary: Additional proposals for proposed bill to amend the Resource Management Act 1991
- Impact summary: Cabinet paper for policy decisions for Resource Management Amendment Bill Departmental Report and other minor and technical matters
- Impact Summary: Linking the Zero Carbon Act 2019 with the Resource Management Act 1991
- Impact Summary: Making permanent recent RMA changes to allow documents to be made accessible electronically, and hearings to use remote access facilities