The Government is proposing several specific changes to the RMA through the Resource Management Amendment Bill (the Bill).
About the Bill
The Bill includes a new freshwater planning process which will support implementation of the upcoming National Policy Statement for Freshwater Management 2020.
The Bill also addresses issues with:
- resource consenting
- Environment Court provisions within the RMA.
The Bill is available on the Legislation website.
Public submissions will be called for when the Bill is referred to a select committee. Submissions can be made via the Parliament website.
Information about the policy proposals in the Bill
- Cabinet paper 1 – Proposed Resource Management Amendment Bill: Stage 1 of a resource management system review
- Appendix to the Cabinet paper: Proposed bill to amend the RMA – further policy detail on proposals (on Cabinet paper web page)
- Cabinet paper 2: Proposed Resource Management Amendment Bill: A specialised planning process for freshwater, and other outstanding policy decisions
- Cabinet paper 3 - Resource Management Amendment Bill - Approval for introduction
- Impact Summary: Proposed bill to amend the Resource Management Act 1991 (version 1)
- Updated Impact Summary: Proposed bill to amend the Resource Management Act 1991 (version 2)
- Impact Statement: A new planning process for freshwater
- Impact Summary: Additional proposals for proposed bill to amend the Resource Management Act 1991