This report provides a stock take of the Urban Design Protocol and is part of a wider evaluation of the Protocol and its signatory action plans undertaken in 2009.
The survey evaluated the long-term outcomes of the Protocol for signatories and the Ministry and found that changes in behaviour and/or thinking have occurred in many organisations as a result of signing up to the Protocol. Attitudes towards urban design within signatory organisations are positive with:
- high levels of agreement regarding multi-disciplinary approaches
- strong support from senior management
- quality urban design being considered extremely important
- quality urban environments being a key priority within the organisation
- elected representatives strongly supporting urban design
- urban design champions being considered effective in their role of promoting urban design within their organisation.
The recommendations provided are forming part of the Ministry's ongoing development of the Protocol.