This section outlines the composition and structure of the mixed-model governing body.
The mixed-model is an arrangement for ECan that provides for both elected and appointed councillors.
The mixed-model provides for seven councillors elected from four constituencies across Canterbury, and up to six councillors appointed jointly by the Minister for the Environment and Associate Minister of Local Government.
ECan will retain all existing functions of a regional council under the mixed-model.
Composition of Environment Canterbury
- Seven councillors will be elected from four constituencies in the Canterbury region.
- Up to six councillors will be appointed jointly by the Minister for the Environment and Minister of Local Government.
- Elected councillors will come into office following the 2016 local authority elections.
- Appointed councillors will come into office once the Ministerial appointment process is completed as soon as possible after the 2016 local authority elections.
- The mixed-model is expected to be in place until the 2019 local authority elections.