The new MPA Act will meet the following objectives:
- A representative and adaptable network of MPAs is created over time to enhance, protect and restore marine biodiversity in New Zealand’s territorial sea.
- Decisions about environmental protection and economic growth are made in a planned and integrated way, based on sound evidence, to maximise the benefits to New Zealand.
- Customary rights and values are recognised, ensuring the principles of the Treaty of Waitangi are met and the Crown’s Treaty obligations are delivered.
- Collaboration is supported through meaningful engagement with iwi/Māori, local communities, business and the wider public.
- Varying levels of protection and use are provided for, including consideration of all existing and future uses and values.
- New Zealand’s international obligations in relation to the marine environment are met.