This guidance manual will help local authority staff – including river managers, engineering staff and asset managers – manage and minimise the risks posed by increased flood risk due to climate change. The manual provides good practice guidance for incorporating climate change impacts into flow estimation. It does this by providing:
- information on the key effects of climate change on flood risk
- methods for estimating changes in the frequency and/or magnitude of rainfall
- methods for converting changes in rainfall to changes in flow rate
- methods for converting changes in flow rate to changes in inundation
- case studies to illustrate these methods.
A summary guidance document is also available, see Preparing for future flooding: A guide for local government in New Zealand