The New Zealand Emissions Trading Scheme (NZ ETS) is the Government’s main tool for reducing greenhouse gas emissions. The government plans to improve the current scheme by introducing a ‘cap’ on emissions covered by the scheme. The cap will reduce over time and help set Aotearoa New Zealand on a trajectory towards meeting our emissions reduction targets.
We are keen for feedback on the specific NZ ETS settings that are being proposed, including unit supply and price controls, that will be set through regulations in mid-2020.
Review the proposals
Slideshow [PDF, 695 KB] — this takes you through the proposals in the consultation document. For detailed information see the consultation document above.
Make a submission
You can submit your feedback during the consultation period using one of the following options.
- Use the online submission tool. This is the preferred way to receive submissions.
- Answer the questions in the consultation document and email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Or post your answers to: Reforming the New Zealand Emissions Trading Scheme: Proposed settings consultation, Ministry for the Environment, PO Box 10362, Wellington 6143.
The deadline for submissions is 28 February 2020 at 5pm.
We held meetings to gain feedback on the specific NZ ETS settings that are being proposed.
Meetings we held
|Monday 3 February||Auckland||1.00pm – 4.00pm|
|Tuesday 4 February||Rotorua||10.00am – 1.00pm|
|Tuesday 11 February||Wellington||1.00pm – 4.00pm|
|Wednesday 12 February||Christchurch||1.00pm – 4.00pm|
|Thursday 13 February||Online Webinar||5.00pm – 7.00pm|
- Following the consultation period, we will prepare a report that summarises the submissions and make recommendations based on the submissions.
- We will then seek agreement from Ministers for policy decisions on the proposals.
- Following Cabinet approval of the policy decisions, officials will begin drafting new regulations.