The financial impacts of climate change on businesses are not being adequately considered, valued and reported on within financial markets in New Zealand.
The Government is proposing to require financial firms and listed companies to report on the impacts for their business and investments in a consistent way. The aim is to help investors, shareholders and companies make informed decisions.
We are keen to get your feedback on the proposals.
How to review the proposals and submit feedback
Making a submission
You can submit your feedback during the consultation period using one of the following options:
- Use our submission tool. This is our preferred way to receive submissions.
- Answer the questions in the discussion document and email firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for submissions is 13 December 2019 at 5pm.
- Low-emissions Economy report (PDF, 8,7 MB) [New Zealand Productivity Commission website]
- Transitioning to a low emissions future: The Government response to the Productivity Commission’s Low Emissions Economy report (The Climate Action Plan)
- Sustainable Finance Forum interim report 2019 (PDF, 2.3 MB) [Aotearoa Circle website]
- Sustainable Finance Forum legal opinion 2019 (PDF, 1.1 MB) [Aotearoa Circle website].
Public information sesssions
We are holding the following information sessions to discuss the proposals. Please register for these meetings by Friday 22 November.
|25 November||Wellington||10.45am – 12.45pm||Fusion Meetings and Events, Conference 6, Level 6, 90 The Terrace, Wellington||Register here|
|26 November||Auckland||7.30am – 9.30am||CA ANZ, Carlaw Park Complex, 12-16 Nicholls Lane, Parnell, Auckland||Register here|
|Auckland||11.45am – 1.45pm||CA ANZ, Carlaw Park Complex, 12-16 Nicholls Lane, Parnell, Auckland||Register here|
|27 November||Christchurch||8.30am – 10.30am||Leadership House, 1/245 Blenheim Rd, Upper Riccarton, Christchurch||Register here|
|3 December||Online webinar||10.00am – 11.30am||This is for those who are unable to attend a meeting in person. We intend to film the webinar and make it publicly available.||Register here|
The feedback from this consultation will inform the Government’s decision on the proposed regime for climate-related financial disclosures.
After the consultation period has ended, our Ministry and the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) will prepare a report that summarises the submissions.
We will then seek agreement from Ministers for policy decisions on the proposed regime, including any recommended changes arising from the consultation.
Following Cabinet approval, officials will begin introduction of new regulations.