National environmental standards (NESs) are regulations issued under section 43 of the Resource Management Act 1991.
NESs are regulations that prescribe technical and non-technical standards, methods or other requirements for land use and subdivision, use of the coastal marine area and beds of lakes and rivers, water take and use, discharges, or noise. Each regional, city or district council must enforce the same standard. In some circumstances where specified in the NES, councils can impose stricter or more lenient standards.
National environmental standards in effect
- National Environmental Standards for Air Quality
- National Environmental Standard for Sources of Drinking Water
- National Environmental Standards for Telecommunication Facilities
- National Environmental Standards for Electricity Transmission Activities
- National Environmental Standard for Assessing and Managing Contaminants in Soil to Protect Human Health
- National Environmental Standards for Plantation Forestry