You are here

Having your say – making submissions about hazardous substances

This page explains how you can have your say on hazardous substance applications.

Notification of applications about hazardous substances

Anyone who wants to import or manufacture anything defined as a hazardous substance under the Hazardous Substances and New Organisms Act 1996 (HSNO Act) in New Zealand must get approval from the Environmental Protection Authority (EPA).

The HSNO Act provides for public participation in the EPA’s decision-making. The EPA must publicly notify applications to import, release, or use a hazardous substance in an emergency.

The EPA may also decide to publicly notify applications to import or manufacture a hazardous substance where the it considers it is in the public interest to do so.

Making a submission

Anyone can make a written submission on a publicly notified application. The EPA considers these submissions when deciding on an application.

As part of your submission, you can ask to speak at a hearing to support your views. The EPA must hold a hearing where you can do this.

How to make a submission [EPA website]