Access national environmental reporting on New Zealand’s freshwater. New Zealand's Environmental Reporting Series is co-produced by Stats NZ and the Ministry for the Environment.
Our freshwater 2020
Our freshwater 2020 examines the most pressing issues on our freshwater.
Four priority freshwater issues have been selected for this report:
- Our native freshwater species and ecosystems are under threat
- Water is polluted in urban, farming, and forestry areas
- Changing water flows affect our freshwater
- Climate change is affecting freshwater in Aotearoa New Zealand.
Overview of Our freshwater 2020 has all report information.
Environment Aotearoa 2019
Environment Aotearoa 2019 brings together data and findings from five domain reports (air, atmosphere and climate, freshwater, marine and land). It helps us view our environment as a whole in all its complexity.
Using five broad themes, the report presents nine priority environmental issues.
The following issues include a focus on freshwater.
Our fresh water 2017
- This infographic provides a snapshot of New Zealand’s freshwater. It presents key findings from Our freshwater 2017.
- This report presents information about the state of our freshwater, the pressures on this state, and what that means for us and the environment. It is a joint report by the Ministry for the Environment and Stats NZ.
Freshwater indicators [Environmental indicators Te Taiao Aotearoa website]
- Graphs, maps, tables, and more detailed scientific descriptions of our key findings.
Datasets [MfE Data Service]
- Conduct your own analysis of the data.
Read the media statement [PDF, 182 KB] From Stats NZ and the Ministry for the Environment.
Environment Aotearoa 2015
Environment Aotearoa 2015 provides an overall picture of our environment across the air, atmosphere and climate, freshwater, land, and marine domains including interactions between domains.
Information on freshwater
Freshwater indicators — Freshwater [Environmental indicators Te Taiao Aotearoa website]
Datasets — Fresh water [MfE Data Service]
Find out more
For the latest national environmental reporting on air, atmosphere and climate, marine and land, see the Environmental reporting homepage.