This page has the key milestones in the making of the National Water Conservation (Te Waihora/Lake Ellesmere) Amendment Order 2011 and related documents.
- On 6 December 2010 the Minister for the Environment received an application from Te Runanga o Ngāi Tahu and the Department of Conservation for a variation to the National Water Conservation (Lake Ellesmere) Order 1990.
- The Minister decided to submit the application to the Canterbury Regional Council (ECan) under the Environment Canterbury (Temporary Commissioners and Improved Water Management) Act 2010.
- ECan notified the application on 18 January 2011 and appointed hearing commissioners who commenced hearing submissions on 30 May 2011.
- ECan adopted the hearing commissioner’s report and recommendations to the Minister on 15 July 2011.
- The National Water Conservation (Te Waihora/Lake Ellesmere) Amendment Order 2011 was gazetted on 22 September 2011.
Find out more
Application, see National Water Conservation (Lake Ellesmere) Order 1990 [Environment Canterbury Regional Council website]
ECan report on the application [PDF, 6 MB]