This page has the key milestones in the making of the Water Conservation (Rangitikei River) Order 1993 and related documents.
- On 3 August 1984 the Wellington Acclimatisation Society applied for a national water conservation order in respect of the Rangitikei River. The application was made to the Minister of Works and Development under the Water and Soil Conservation Act 1967.
- The application was publicly notified on 15 December 1984 and submissions were received.
- A public hearing was held on 16 and 18 October 1985.
- The hearing committee reported to the National Water and Soil Conservation Authority in January 1986 recommending that a draft Order be made.
- The draft Order was published on 8 March 1986 and was appealed.
- There were delays waiting for the Court of Appeal decision on the Rakaia River as a result of the disestablishment of the Ministry of Works.
- The application was reactivated and there were conferences of the parties in 1990 and 1991.
- A hearing was held by the Planning Tribunal in November 1992. The tribunal issued its decision on 24 December 1992 recommending that an Order be made.
- The Water Conservation (Rangitikei River) Order 1993 was made on 15 February 1993.
Find out more
Application [PDF, 1 MB]
Planning Tribunal report [PDF, 626 KB]