This page gives an overview of our waste data collection initiatives and their outcomes. It also provides links to the waste-related reports and statistics we currently hold.
Environmental reporting on waste disposal
The Ministry reports regularly on waste disposal in national environmental indicators for waste and state of environment reports. The environmental indicators provide information on the quantity and composition of solid waste disposal in New Zealand.
Report cards/environmental indicators
- Quantity of solid waste sent to landfill indicator update (2012)
- Solid waste disposal, 2010 environmental snapshot (2010)
- Environmental report card: Solid waste composition (2009)
Reports on the state of New Zealand’s environment
Waste composition from Solid Waste Analysis Protocol reports
The Solid Waste Analysis Protocol (SWAP) programme provides data on the composition and quantity of solid waste. Trends in quantity and composition of solid waste to landfill are the core indicators for reporting on solid waste.
The following reports provide information on SWAP and data that is collected through its use:
- Solid waste audits for Ministry for the Environment waste data programme 2007/08
- Solid waste analysis protocol (2002)
The Ministry for the Environment conducts surveys to gather data on siting, design, monitoring and operation of landfills across New Zealand to identify whether landfills are managed according to best practice.
The following reports provide details of the landfill surveys:
- Consented non-levied cleanfills and landfills in New Zealand: Project report (2011)
- The 2006/07 national landfill census
- The 2002 landfill review and audit
- The 1998/99 national landfill census report
- Ministry for the Environment waste publications available on our website.