This page outlines the data available on local authorities' implementation of the RMA for 2014/15 and how it can be used.
What is available
The reporting on local authorities implementation of the RMA for 2014/15 consists of:
- high-level findings (suitable for gaining a quick overview of aspects of local authorities’ implementation of the RMA)
- an interactive data tool displaying selected 2014/15 data from the National Monitoring System (NMS) and selected historic data from the RMA Survey of Local Authorities
- the complete National Monitoring System 2014/15 dataset available as a series of downloadable files.
Access to the complete 2014/15 dataset gives those with an interest in New Zealand’s resource management system an evidence base from which to conduct their own in-depth analysis.
How it can be used
Local authorities are encouraged to use the NMS data to fulfil their reporting and monitoring requirements such as:
- internal and external reporting on functions and processes
- State of the Environment monitoring (section 35(2)(a) of the RMA)
- efficiency and effectiveness monitoring of policies, rules or other methods in policy statements or plans (section 35(2)(b) of the RMA)
- monitoring the progress towards achieving the stated outcomes for the local authority area as detailed in your local authority's Long Tem Plan (Local Government Act 2002 monitoring and reporting requirements).