This page provides information on the proposed amendments to the National Environmental Standards for Telecommunication Facilities.
About the proposed amendments
The Minister for the Environment and Minister for Communications have announced that they will broaden the scope of the National Environmental Standards for Telecommunication Facilities (NES). This is so consumers have faster access to new technologies.
It is proposed that the scope of the NES will be expanded to:
- include new deployment activities to provide national consistency for a wider range of telecommunications facilities
- ensure that deployment of these telecommunications facilities in areas of significance are managed by the relevant district plan.
The aim of the proposed amendments is to ensure the NES continues to meet its objectives by bringing it up to speed with the rapid development of the telecommunications sector since 2008. The amendments will aid in the roll-out of the ultra-fast broadband and rural broadband initiative and speed up the availability of new and better communications technologies. There is no proposal to change the limit for exposure to radio-frequency fields.
Changes to bring the existing NES up to date with current technology is a Government priority, see A way forward national direction.
The Ministry for the Environment and the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment are working on the proposed amendments.
About the public consultation
Public consultation was carried out on the proposed amendments between 3 March and 17 April 2015. See the following documents.
Find out more
The following documents may also help you understand the proposed amendments.
- Report of the outcome evaluation of the National Environmental Standards for Telecommunication Facilities
- Proposed amendments to the National Environmental Standards for Telecommunication Facilities: Preliminary evaluation under section 32 of the Resource Management Act 1991
- Environmental effects of implementing ultra-fast broadband and mobile infrastructure
- Proposed amendments to the National Environmental Standards for Telecommunication Facilities: Review of (Māori) cultural benefits and costs
If you have any questions about the proposed amendments please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ministers' media release
New RMA standard to streamline telecommunications upgrades [Beehive website]