View all publications

Equipment Brand Mix

All the equipment dropped off at each collection site on eDay was recorded by brand. This represented over 80% of the total equipment collected. The remaining 20% was collected mainly from schools during the two weeks preceding eDay.

Figure 2: National equipment mix by brand

 

The pie graph shows the percentage each brand represented of the total equipment collected. Percentages as follows in order of size: other brands 32%, HP/Compaq 23%, unbranded 10%, Phillips 7%, Dell 4%, Epson 4%  IBM/Lenovo 4%, Canon 3%, Apple 3%, PC Direct 3%, Acer 2%, Lexmark 1%, Panasonic 1%, Toshiba 1%, View 1%, Insite/itech <1%, Samsung <1%, Sony <1%, Sun <1%.  

The data in the above chart is based on is the “total” equipment column in the table below, and as such includes monitors, computers and printers. Miscellaneous equipment has been excluded from this analysis. The percentages sum to just over 100% because of rounding.

Table 7: National brand analysis

Brand Monitors Computers Printers Total %
Acer 407 398 151 956 1.68%
Apple 763 729 208 1,700 2.99%
Brother 13 63 1,040 1,116 1.96%
Canon 59 68 1,798 1,925 3.39%
Dell 982 878 167 2,027 3.57%
EPSON 50 69 1,890 2,009 3.54%
Gateway 218 160 140 518 0.91%
HP/Compaq 4,205 4,340 4,178 12,723 22.40%
Insite/itech 18 123 113 254 0.45%
IBM/Lenovo 1,116 988 92 2,196 3.87%
Lexmark 16 17 357 390 0.69%
Panasonic 93 58 328 479 0.84%
PC Direct 763 631 36 1,430 2.52%
Philips 3,889 206 38 4,133 7.28%
Sony 69 64 8 141 0.25%
Samsung 115 59 51 225 0.40%
Sun 44 46 3 93 0.16%
Toshiba 53 356 37 446 0.79%
View 712 57 21 790 1.39%
Other brands 7,543 7,422 2,910 17,875 31.47%

Other unbranded

1,922

2,837

614

5,373

9.46%

Total

23,050

19,569

14,180

56,799

100.00%