This page outlines the key steps in the consideration of the MAJAC Trust application to amend the Water Conservation (Buller River) Order 2001. The application was declined.
- MAJAC Trust lodged an application under the Resource Management Act 1991 to amend the Water Conservation (Buller River) Order 2001 to enable a run of the river power scheme on the Gowan River.
- A special tribunal was appointed in July 2004 to hear and report on the application.
- The Special Tribunal publicly released its decision on the scope of the hearing on 22 December 2004.
- MAJAC Trust lodged judicial review proceedings in the High Court. The decision of the High Court was released on 18 July 2005.
- The application was heard by the Tribunal in November 2005. In February 2006, the Tribunal recommended that the application be declined.
- Submissions were made to the Environment Court in respect of the Tribunals’ report and recommendation.
- The Environment Court issued its decision in August 2007 recommending that the application be declined.
- The application was declined by the Minister in December 2007.