This page has the key milestones in the making of the National Water Conservation (Lake Ellesmere) Order 1990 and related documents.
- On 27 June 1986, the Minister of Internal Affairs applied for a water conservation order in respect of Lake Ellesmere (Te Waihora). The application was made under the Water and Soil Conservation Act 1967.
- The application was referred to the National Water and Soil Conservation Authority which publicly notified the application, considered the submission and held a public meeting in Christchurch on 18 February 1988.
- On 19 March 1988, the authority’s report and recommendations were publicly notified.
- Submissions were received by the Planning Tribunal from several parties. No inquiry was held as the submissions were all withdrawn in December 1989 and January 1990.
- The National Water Conservation (Lake Ellesmere) Order 1990 was made on 2 July 1990.
Find out more
Application [PDF, 3.6 MB]
National Water and Soil Conservation Authority report [PDF, 6.7 MB]