New Zealand Emissions Trading Scheme Review 2015/16: Stage one priority issues submissions

Summary of submissions

About the consultation

Consultation on the NZ ETS review stage 1 priority issues was undertaken between 24 November and 19 February. During this period information sessions, hui and targeted meetings were held with stakeholders across New Zealand. 

For more information see New Zealand Emissions Trading Scheme Review 2015/16: Discussion document and call for written submissions

Overview of feedback

Key themes of the submissions from the consultation on stage one priority issues were:

  • the need for regulatory or policy certainty - this was the strongest theme and it was expressed across all sectors
  • design issues under review in the second stage will be impacted by the priority matters, or vice versa, and so should be considered together
  • the need for a long-term plan for how the NZ ETS will help New Zealand meet its international obligations
  • the importance of New Zealand’s main policy tool for reducing emissions being well-connected with Government’s other polices for climate change, including adaptation.

Submissions

A total of 278 submissions were received.

Of these 242 submissions (87 per cent) were unique. The remaining 36 (13 per cent) were form submissions by the Morgan Foundation and largely completed by individuals. 

The table below has a breakdown of submitters by sector of main interest 

Sector

Number

% of total

Agriculture

11

4

Business groups

8

3

Electricity

7

3

Forestry

47

17

Individual

103

37

Industrial processors

11

4

Iwi/Māori

9

3

Liquid fossil fuels (transport)

10

4

Local government

8

3

NGO and community groups

19

7

Research and tertiary organisation

7

3

Stationary energy (excluding electricity)

9

3

Waste

13

5

Wood processors and manufacturers

2

1

Other

14

5

TOTAL

278

 

The unique submissions and the form submission templates are available in the tables below. Some information is withheld at the request of submitters and contact details of all submitters are withheld under section 9(2)(a) of the Official Information Act 1982.

View unique submissions (alphabetical order by surname/organisation name)

Show all submissions | Hide all submissions

Reviewed:
14/07/16